The West Coast Trailer Sailing Squadron's
1. Saturday September 15th - RED TIDE along the Pinellas beaches has forced us to change the venue for this event to Lake Tarpon and the Turtle Restaurant.
We'll launch at Anderson Park right off of US 19, about 9am, and sail the northern part of Lake Tarpon until 11:30. Then we'll head into the docks at Lake Tarpon's only restaurant, the
Tarpon Turtle. If the weather is good after lunch we'll sail, if not we'll head back to the ramps at Anderson Park and load up. If you can't make it by boat, meet us at the docks to take a line!
$6.00 ramp fee.
2. Friday - Sunday - October 19th - 21st. Cayo Costa Cruise! One of the big gatherings of the Squadron in Charlotte Harbor's Cayo Costa State Park. Meet on Friday afternoon in the small cove at the very north end of Pelican Bay at Cayo Costa. Bring two anchors to anchor bow and stern inside the cove. Small campfire Friday and Saturday evening. Bring beach chairs and something to share (snacks). Saturday folks will be sailing out to explore Useppa Island, and Cabbage Key, where a Cheeseburger in Paradise can be purchased for a small fortune. Return to the cove for another campfire and social time on Saturday. Launch at Eldred's Marina, County Marina in Bokeelia, Pineland Marina, or from Punta Gorda's City Marina. (Shortest distance to Pelican Bay is Pineland - then Bokeelia - then Eldreds. Longest is from Punta Gorda, but it's not directly in line with the Intracoastal, so you don't have so many boats passing you. Last Year's Photos
Eldred's is #8
County Marina in Bokeelia is close to #6
3. November 16th - 18th Friday - Sunday - Cedar Key in November! - This is turning out to be one of our favorite small boat events! If you have a shallow small boat, bring it! Make reservations NOW for the many hotels, condos, and B & B's in the town, or plan on staying aboard anchored out by Atsena Otie Key. The Island Place is back open and taking reservations, Old Fenimore Mill has good sized two bedroom two bath condos available, and many others. Use http://cedarkey.org/stay/ to locate a place that fits your lifestyle and budget. Last Year's photos:
Meet Friday night at Tony's Famous Clam Chowder house - I'll make a reservation for the back room. Be there by 5:30 for a table.
4. December 14th - 16th - Indian River Lagoon Cruise - You can cruise over to IRL #1 and camp on the island in tents, or stay aboard your vessel in the protected cove. Launch at Honest John's Fish Camp about 4 miles north of the IRL#1 island or on the Mainland at Christensen's Ramp. Even closer. IRL#1 is directly west of the Sebastian Inlet. ( I like to take Hwy 60 across the state to avoid the Interstates.)
Photos from a 2013 visit to IRL #1: http://wctss.ij.net/photos106.html
5. January 2 - 6, 2019 -Ten Thousand Islands Cruise. Between Goodland and the Everglades National Park lies the 10,000 Islands of SW Florida. Launch at Goodland Boating Park or the Resort at Port of the Islands.
Sail to the western side of Panther Key and anchor off the expansive beach. Stick closer to the northern end of the beach to have deeper water at low tide. (Ask me how I know). More later. Great campfires, sails to the ENP, or out to the Dome Homes on the point at Cape Romano Shoals. The white island just above the words "Ten Thousand" in the photo below is Panther Key. Bring beach chairs, campfire or starter logs, and stuff to share.
Photos from another 10K Cruise: http://wctss.ij.net/photos112.html
6. Feb - a surprise! - cooking up something really fun.
7. March 15th - 17th - Friday - Sunday - Cayo Costa Cruise! Let's hope the Red Tide is HISTORY by then!
8. April - TBD
9. May 3rd - 5th - Cedar Key Small Boat Weekend! - Make Plans early. Call the hotels, or look at the Chamber of Commerce web site for accommodations.